The year has flown by and it is hard to believe that November and Thanksgiving are approaching!
With the start of this new month comes some changes at Moonflower Yoga. It is with sadness that we announce that Rose is leaving the studio in November. She is pursuing her other love of plant-based cooking on a full-time basis, and we know that she will do well in this profession. We will miss her and wish her all the best.
Rose’s two Monday class slots at 4:30 PM and 6 PM will now be taught by Lynn, and many of you have attended other great classes on the schedule from Lynn. The 4:30 PM Beginner Yoga Fundamentals class remains on the schedule. The 6 PM Beginner Stretch class leaves the schedule as of November 11th, and will be replaced with a NEW fabulous “Pilates Strengthen and Stretch” class. Pilates is a wonderful system for helping you build strength, and Moonflower Yoga provides the Pilates supplies you will need. Come give this new class a try!
As for the 2 Friday classes taught by Rose, “Friday Stretch” and “Chair Yoga Stretch”, these will now be taught by Jeannine Bayer. Jeannine currently teaches 2 other great classes on the Tuesday schedule: “Morning Movement and Meditation” at 9:15 AM and “Yoga Basics” at 5 PM. Jeannine is looking forward to working with the Friday morning students.
You will find more info below on the 4 classes that Lynn and Jeannine will begin teaching in November. Come check out these great classes!
With Thanksgiving approaching, are you looking for an alternative to turkey? You can enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday with delicious seasonal, plant-based foods. Join Bob on Saturday, November 16th for a fun Vegan Holiday Cooking Workshop which will also encompass gluten-free cooking ideas. Enjoy yummy samples of delicious vegan food to consider for the holiday, as well as learn some basics about a plant-based diet. There will be a live cooking demo which is always fun. Only a couple of spots are still open – come join us! Click on the “Workshop” tab for additional info.
If you’d like to get your creative juices flowing, join Carol Procopio for 2 great upcoming workshops: “Make Your Own Memory Box” on Saturday, November 9th, and “Create Your Own Positive Affirmation Bracelet” on Saturday, December 7th. You can keep these beautiful items for yourself or give them to someone special in your life as a lovely holiday gift. These are filling up quickly – book now! You can obtain more info from the “Workshops” tab & register from the “Schedule” tab.
In addition to the workshops listed above, join us for some fun in the Moonflower Yoga Book Club, the Moonflower Yoga Needle Arts Group (where we crochet or knit), the Moonflower Yoga Mah Jongg Club, or the Moonflower Yoga Women’s Gathering group where we focus on topics of relevance to women. These activities are a great way to make new friends while you discover a new activity.
Plus Moonflower Yoga offers Reiki training. Reiki is a wonderful system for stress reduction & relaxation. It is being offered by major hospitals as an alternative therapy. Discover how it can help YOU! Learn more about Reiki from the “Reiki” tab above.
You can also scroll to the bottom of this page for a chronological listing of the available workshops, Club events, and Reiki training sessions. We look forward to having you join us!
Which yoga classes are best for YOU?
If you are not sure which yoga classes might be good for beginners, or which yoga classes are intermediate level, here is a quick listing with additional information for each class on the “Descriptions” tab above.
There are NO membership agreements, NO membership fees, NO recurring credit card charges at Moonflower Yoga. You can simply register for a single, great yoga class by double clicking on the class/date you would like to attend from the Schedule tab and following the simple registration and payment steps, and you are all set!
Here are some great classes to consider:
BEGINNER-LEVEL YOGA CLASS SUGGESTIONS (Also look for the “B” symbol next to the class title on the Schedule tab):
- Saturday: 8:30 AM Beginner, 11:15 AM Weekend Beginner Stretch with Victoria (NEW! – see below)
- Sunday: 9:45 AM Beginner, 11:15 AM Kundalini w/Lori
- Monday: 4:30 PM Beginner Yoga Fundamentals (w/Lynn starting Nov 11), 6 PM Pilates Strengthen and Stretch (NEW! starts November 11 – see below), 7:30 PM Candlelight Restorative (alternate Mondays)
- Tuesday: 9:15 AM Morning Movement & Meditation, 11 AM Chair Yoga with Nancy, 5 PM Yoga Basics, 6:15 PM Tuesday Stretch and Relax, or the 7:30 PM Stress-Buster series of classes (see below for this month’s offerings)
- Wednesday: 4:45 PM Wall and Chair: A Supported Sequence, 6:00 PM Chair Body Stretch with Meditation/Reiki, 7:30 PM Slow Flow & Singing Bowls with Jessica (alternate Weds.) or 7:30 PM Yin Yang Yoga class (alternate Weds.)
- Thursday: 10 AM Stretch & Flow, 11:30 AM Chair Yoga with Lynn, 4:30 PM Stretch and Meditate 101, 6:15 PM Kundalini with Cathi, or 7:45 PM Evening Stretch and Relaxing Restorative Yoga
- Friday: 10 AM Friday Stretch (w/Jeannine starting Nov 11), plus the 11:30 AM Chair Yoga Stretch class (w/Jeannine starting Nov 11)
Are you an experienced yoga student looking for a fabulous, energetic yoga class? Try one of these great yoga classes to get your juices flowing & start you on the road to a toner and stronger you for the summer:
INTERMEDIATE-LEVEL YOGA CLASS SUGGESTIONS (look for the “I” symbol next to the class title on the Schedule tab):
- Saturday: 10 AM Saturday Flow
- Monday: 7:30 PM Stretch Intense, and Restore (alternate Mondays – check schedule)
- Wednesday: 10:00 AM Rejuvenate and Stretch
Please join Lynn and Jeannine for these great classes they will be teaching starting in November!
PILATES STRENGTHEN AND STRETCH (B) with Lynn Pieroni
Mondays at 6 PM starting November 11th
The Pilates method of body conditioning is the art of strength, stretch and control. The system was developed in the 1920s by legendary physical trainer, Joseph H. Pilates, to improve flexibility, enhance posture & coordination, stabilize, and elongate the spine and establish balance & overall strength. Pilates derived his system from ancient yoga postures among other sources, and like yoga, the Pilates method is not just exercise. Pilates believed that physical & mental health were completely dependent upon one another. Therefore, like yoga poses, the Pilates methodology can manifest a balance of Mind-Body-Spirit.
The primary focus in this mat sequence will be on your body’s core (abs, lower back, and the surrounding stabilizing muscles). You will practice very precise breath linked with controlled movements using specific props – the ball, the strap and the ring – which Pilates used to support and guide the body through its ultimate transformation in fully engaging the body and mind. Moonflower Yoga will supply the Pilates tools you need for this class.
Consistent practice can help you in the following ways:
– Injury prevention and recovery – Improved alignment & posture.
– Revived breathing and circulation – Increased strength and flexibility
– Enhanced muscle tone & energy – Better mental concentration
– Achievement of balance, grace & fluidity
Yoga postures and Pilates routines can provide a meditative environment for you to improve your overall quality of life. Both provide stress relief, both work from the center of your body outward, and both increase your body awareness. As fitness programs, Pilates and a yoga asana practice can complement each other beautifully.
BOOK NOW – Register by double clicking on the date you’d like to attend from the Schedule tab above and follow the simple registration & payment steps and you’re all set! Or try adding this great class to your monthly class package.
BEGINNER YOGA FUNDAMENTALS
with Lynn Pieroni
Mondays at 4:30 PM starting November 11th
Are you new to yoga? Are you looking for a great beginner-level yoga class? Come explore this wonderful class with Lynn! Beginner Yoga Fundamentals is perfect for those students who would like to explore yoga and discover ways in which to become stronger, stretch your muscles, improve flexibility and balance, and de-stress. Props are used to support you as you learn basic postures. You will also learn how to link your breath to movement which will help you with your practice. The class will end with several minutes of quiet relaxation reclining on the ground to reduce your stress. Come give this fabulous class a try!!
Register now for this great class!! You can reserve your spot by selecting it from the Schedule tab above and following the simple registration and payment steps.
with Jeannine Bayer starting in November
Fridays at 10 AM
Looking for a great, late morning, beginner yoga class on Fridays? Come try Friday Stretch – perfect for all fitness levels. In this class, taught in a yin yoga style, you will do deep stretching postures on the ground with the assistance of props such as bolsters, blankets, pillows, yoga straps, and blocks to allow you to relax into the posture. This will help you increase your flexibility and strength. There may also be some restorative poses with props to help you further unwind and de-stress. It is a wonderful way to release stress from the week and get you ready for a fabulous weekend!
Register now for this great class!! You can reserve your spot by selecting it from the Schedule tab and following the simple registration and payment steps.
CHAIR YOGA STRETCH
With Jeannine Bayer starting in November
Fridays at 11:30 AM (new time)
If you have difficulty coming up/down from the floor in a regular yoga class, come give this great chair yoga class a try! This is a gentle, beginner-level yoga class where fundamental yoga poses will be done seated in a chair or with the support of a chair for those who can stand while holding a chair. The practice will also include poses for stretching your muscles, as well as poses to improve flexibility and build strength. For those who can stand, there will also be balance poses using a chair for support if needed. In all the poses, you will learn how to link your breath to movement. You will learn some simple pranayama breathing techniques to help you relax. The class will end with several minutes of quiet solitude seated on your chair. This is a wonderful class to help you get stronger and more flexible in a gentle way while also giving you an opportunity to de-stress and relax. Please join Jeannine for this fabulous class!
Register now for this great class!! You can reserve your spot by selecting it from the Schedule tab above and following the simple registration and payment steps.
PLEASE WELCOME VICTORIA SMITH TO THE MOONFLOWER YOGA TEACHING ROSTER WITH A GREAT NEW SATURDAY MORNING CLASS!
Weekend Beginner Stretch (B)
Saturday mornings at 11:15 AM
Join Victoria for this great yoga class designed for all fitness levels including beginners! Victoria will guide through a series of fundamental yoga poses that will build strength, stretch your body, and improve balance. It will be taught in a hatha yoga style (NOT hot yoga) which works with all areas of the body to help you feel better and get stronger. Victoria will also show you how to link your breath to movement to enable you to relax, release tension, as well as stretch further. Props are available to help you for support in your practice. The class will be a combination of seated and standing yoga postures and ends with several minutes of quiet relaxation on the ground. Come give this wonderful yoga class a try and have a great start to your weekend!
Reserve your spot in this great new class! You can book your reservation by selecting this class from the Schedule tab above and following the simple registration and payment steps. Alternatively add it to your monthly class package.
Come learn something new and have fun in a great upcoming workshop, event or training session!
Moonflower Yoga has an amazing array of interesting workshops and events from which you choose! People from Bellmore-Merrick-Wantagh-East Meadow-Seaford and other parts of Long Island have been registering, and we hope to see you too. Below is a quick snapshot summary of these very fun activities, and you can discover more info on the “Workshops” or “Events” tabs. You can register for any of these great activities by selecting the activity that you would like to attend on the “Schedule” tab above and following the simple registration and payment steps.
- Vegan, Vegetarian & Gluten-Free Holiday Cooking with Bob!: Saturday, November 16th, 2-4 PM: Do you struggle during the holidays with vegan and vegetarian options to turkey? Come and learn some wonderful recipe ideas that can be enjoyed by everyone at your holiday table. Sample some delicious food and have fun in this interactive and delicious workshop.
- Moonflower Yoga Needle Arts Group: Sunday, November 17th, 4:30 PM – 6 PM: Come join our fun group! Newcomers, as well as people experienced in knitting and crocheting, are welcome. If you are new to crochet or knitting, we can offer some advice to help you get started. Discover the meditative quality of needle arts!
- Reiki Level Two training: Saturday, November 23rd, 1:15 PM – 6 PM – only one spot open – book now!: Come further explore Reiki in this Reiki Level Two training, open to anyone who successfully completed Reiki Level One. Learn the first 3 symbols of Reiki including the distance symbol to send healing energy to someone who is not in the same room as you and the power symbol to enhance your Reiki practice. This training session will be done by Nancy Weshkoff, Owner of Moonflower Yoga and Reiki Master Teacher.
- Moonflower Yoga Mah Jongg Club: Saturday, November 30th, 1:30 PM – 3 PM: Learn the fun game of Mah Jongg! Newcomers, as well as experienced players willing to work with newcomers, are welcome.
- Reiki Level One training: Sunday, December 1st, 1:15 PM – 5:45 PM – SOLD OUT ; wait list available or try February: Come learn the basics of Reiki and receive a Reiki Level One certification. You will learn the history of Reiki and how to do a Reiki treatment on yourself as well as others. You will discover the relaxing qualities of Reiki and be supplied with an informative book to continue your Reiki experience after you complete this Level One certification. This Reiki Level One training will be taught by Reiki Master Teacher and Moonflower Yoga owner, Nancy Weshkoff.
- Create Your Own Positive Affirmation Bracelet: Saturday, December 7th, 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM with Carol Procopio: I am WORTHY. I am STRONG. I am LOVED. I am ENOUGH. Send positive vibrations to yourself and those you love in this great workshop where you will make your own gemstone and nickel silver charms bracelet. Keep for yourself or give as a great holiday gift! Click on the “Workshops” tab for additional info & a photo. Book early; space is limited.
- Moonflower Yoga Book Club Annual “Pot Luck” celebration (open to all): Sunday, December 8th, 4:30 PM – 6 PM: Come join us for our fun annual “pot luck” holiday celebration. It’s a great way to have fun and meet the members of the Book Club. All are welcome. Click on the “Workshop” tab for further info.
- Reiki Healing Circle: Friday, December 20th, 6:45 PM – 8:15 PM: Take a break from the holidays & enjoy a lovely, relaxing Reiki treatment! Each person has an opportunity to receive Reiki. NO prior Reiki experience needed.
- Moonflower Yoga Mah Jongg Club: Saturday, January 4th, 1:30 PM – 3 PM: Learn the fun game of Mah Jongg! Newcomers, as well as experienced players willing to work with newcomers, are welcome.
- Moonflower Yoga Book Club: SUNDAY, January 12th, 4:30 PM – 6 PM: Take a journey with a great book while having fun and making new friends! For our first meeting of the new year, because there is a 2-month gap between meetings, we will be reading TWO books “NEXT YEAR IN HAVANA” and “THE WORLD THAT WE KNEW”. All are welcome to read this book and join us. Click on the “Clubs” tab above for more info on the book.
- Reiki Level One training: Saturday, January 11th, 1:15 PM – 6 PM – SOLD OUT – wait list available or try February 8: Come learn the basics of Reiki and receive a Reiki Level One certification. You will learn the history of Reiki and how to do a Reiki treatment on yourself as well as others. You will discover the relaxing qualities of Reiki and be supplied with an informative book to continue your Reiki experience after you complete this Level One certification. This Reiki Level One training will be taught by Reiki Master Teacher and Moonflower Yoga owner, Nancy Weshkoff.
- Reiki Level Two training: Saturday, January 25th, 1:15 PM – 6 PM – book early – previous sessions sold out!: Come further explore Reiki in this Reiki Level Two training, open to anyone who successfully completed Reiki Level One. Learn the first 3 symbols of Reiki including the distance symbol to send healing energy to someone who is not in the same room as you and the power symbol to enhance your Reiki practice. This training session will be done by Nancy Weshkoff, Owner of Moonflower Yoga and Reiki Master Teacher.
- Reiki Level One training: Saturday, February 8th, 1:15 PM – 6 PM – just added – book early as previous sessions sold out: Come learn the basics of Reiki and receive a Reiki Level One certification. You will learn the history of Reiki and how to do a Reiki treatment on yourself as well as others. You will discover the relaxing qualities of Reiki and be supplied with an informative book to continue your Reiki experience after you complete this Level One certification. This Reiki Level One training will be taught by Reiki Master Teacher and Moonflower Yoga owner, Nancy Weshkoff.
- A Gathering for Self-Realization and Meditation with Chandresh (an EXCLUSIVE series for Moonflower Yoga!): You just missed a wonderful session! Stay tuned as a new date in this wonderful series will be announced soon. This is a signature meditation and workshop series by Chandresh Bhardwaj prepared exclusively for the community of Moonflower Yoga! In each workshop, Chandresh brings up topics that are relatable, urgent, and important for one’s spiritual and life growth. As the seventh generation spiritual teacher, Chandresh combines the ancient wisdom traditions with modern, accessible lessons for eternal happiness. Always packed with stories, humor, and life-altering teachings, this workshop is perfect for those who are ready to bring more love, courage, and bliss in their life. Each workshop starts with a talk by Chandresh followed by guided meditation and Q&A with the students.
STAY TUNED! We are planning more great workshops and events for the coming months!
Check out Moonflower Yoga on longislandforsale.com!:
Moonflower Yoga is proud to announce that Long Island for Sale has written a great piece on Moonflower Yoga. Here is the link to read the article, and if you are looking for a home in the Long Island area, Long Island for Sale can help you:
Come try our relaxing “Stress-Buster” series of classes (Tuesdays at 7:30 PM):
Life has many challenges that create stress. Stress is harmful and leads to conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, and more. Reducing your stress can lower your disease risk. This series of classes on Tuesday nights are designed to help you reduce your stress and feel better. You’ll love this great variety of interesting and calming classes!
Here is the remaining November schedule for our Stress-Buster series:
- Less Stress meditation with Cathi (November 12th): In this fabulous session, try a “Less Stress” Meditation with Cathi! Enjoy tranquility of body and mind through guided meditation and Reiki healing. Meditation helps you to connect to the present moment while the flow of Reiki energy encourages relaxation and well-being. All are welcome to attend this lovely class.
- Candlelight Restorative with Nancy (November 19th) (sold out – wait list available): Melt away your stress in this lovely, very relaxing class which is done while resting on the floor. You will spend several minutes gently stretching and unwinding in each restorative posture with the help of props such as bolsters, blankets, and pillows. The class will be lit by candlelight with soft music in the background. Essential oils are diffused to help you further relax. Nancy, who is a Reiki Master Teacher, also provides a brief, optional Reiki treatment while you are reclining for those who choose to have a Reiki treatment. You will leave feeling refreshed and renewed!
- Kundalini meditation & gong relaxation with Cathi (November 26th): Release the stress of your day through pranayama (breathing techniques), meditation and an extended gong bath. The immediate effects of Kundalini technique will allow you to relax and let go, while gong therapy restores the body and mind to a state of peace.
LONG ISLAND CARES
Through the generous support of so many in the Moonflower Yoga community, we collected approximately 400 lbs. of food and personal care items in the last year. THANK YOU! Sadly many people on Long Island cannot afford food or personal care items and your donations help them. Some of the things that are most in need are those items that are not covered by food stamps, particularly pet food, diapers, shampoo, soap, feminine hygiene products, etc., as food stamps only cover food items. At the moment, what Long Island Cares mostly needs is DOG and CAT FOOD. Whatever items you can donate are much appreciated. These can be dropped off at the Moonflower Yoga studio, and we will take the items to Long Island Cares. Thank you!
November class changes:
- The Moonflower Yoga studio is closed for the Thanksgiving holiday and Black Friday on November 28 and 29. We wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving!
- On the day before Thanksgiving, November 27, there is only ONE class on the schedule: the 10 AM Rejuvenate and Stretch. That class will be taught by River.
- The Kundalini Yoga class on Thursday, November 14 and 21, will be taught by Beth.
Upcoming December class changes:
- The Evening Stretch and Relaxing Restorative Yoga class on Dec 5th will be taught by Dona Dovie.
- There are no classes on Sunday, December 15th.
- The studio is closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Have a merry Christmas!
- The studio is closed on New Year’s Eve. Have a great start to your new year!
November class packages:
For the month of November, we are offering THREE class packages from which you can choose. All of these offer a discount over the per-class package price of $21:
– Yoga Lite: Receive 4 classes for $76 ($19 per class)
– Yoga Medium: Receive 6 classes for $108 ($18 per class)
– Yoga Pro: Receive 8 classes for $144 ($18 per class)
All of the above November class packages offer a discount over the per-class price. The discounted classes purchased under the November class package must be used between November 1st and November 30th, 2019. Please note there are NO classes on the schedule on Thanksgiving Day or Black Friday. The class package must be purchased at the Moonflower Yoga studio.
MONTHLY CUSTOMER APPRECIATION GIFT
We appreciate your business! Each month a special gift will be given to the customer who attends the most classes during the calendar month.
The “Prize of the Month” for booking the most classes in the month of October was won by Leslie. Congratulations Leslie! Leslie booked her first yoga class at Moonflower Yoga in late March and has been a regular at the studio since then. We are glad you are a regular part of the studio, Leslie! Leslie won the new Moonflower Yoga long-sleeve t-shirt in black. The November contest is underway! Book your classes now and you are automatically entered in this month’s contest.